Břeclav is a town in the South Moravian Region, approximately 55 km southeast of Brno. It is located at the border with Lower Austria on the Dyje Rive.
There was originally a market town by the castle, which was destroyed in the 15th century and then refounded closer to the castle (which is in the area of today’s town centre); the original spot has been called Old Břeclav (Stará Břeclav) since that time. Both the (new) market town and village of Old Břeclav were badly damaged in battles during the 17th century.
In 1938-1945 Břeclav was a part of Nazi Germany, although the town’s population was mostly Czech-speaking. Local Jews (4,3% in 1930) and Germans (11,6%) were expelled both during and afterWorld War II.