Český Těšín is a town in the Karviná District, Moravian-Silesian Region of theCzech Republic. The town is commonly known in the region as just Těšín. It lies on the west bank of the Olza River, in the heart of the historical region of Cieszyn Silesia (Těšínsko).
Today the Poles comprise a minority in Český Těšín, as 16.1% of the town’s population, although the number of people with Polish heritage is considerably higher. The town is an important cultural and educational center of the Polish minority in Zaolzie. The number of Poles is however decreasing as a result of continuing assimilation.
The oldest sacral building in the town is the Empire style chapel from 1848, located near the cemetery.The Neo-Gothic Catholic Sacred Heart of Jesus Church was built in 1894 by Viennese architect Ludwig Satzky.