Lanškroun is a town and municipality in the Ústí nad Orlicí District, Pardubice Region of the Czech Republic. On the border between the former provinces of Bohemia and Moravia. Lanškroun lies in the Lanškroun Basin under the southernmost foothills of the Eagle Mountains
In 1246, Heřman and Oldřich of Drnholec, royal colonizers, founded the castle of Lanšperk and the town of Lanškroun. Obviously the town was founded to be a principal economical centre of the large demesne of Lanšperk. Later on the town passed over to the royal power, and in 1285, in the reign of Wenceslas II, into the possession of the mighty Záviš of Falkenstein.
On May 9, 1945, the day of the end of World War II in Europe, Soviet troops entered the city. On May 17, 1945, Czech partisan units held court in Landskron, and many Nazis were tortured to death.
Cultural and social life of the town inhabitants is influenced actively by the Cultural Centre. The Municipal Museum, which was founded in 1905, with its seat at the Lanškroun château issues several publications every year, prepares short-term expositions regularly and manages the following permanent expositions: History of the Town of Lanškroun, Cabinet of coins and medals of Zdeněk Kolářský, a painter, Glass-making on the Bohemian-Moravian border, and the Commemorative Chamber of Jindřich Praveček, a native of nearby Výprachtice