Prostějov is a city in the Olomouc Region of the Czech Republic, in the historical region of Moravia. Today the city is known for its fashion industry and special military forces based there. The historical core of the town has been declared a historical town preserve.
The town comes into existence in 1141 as a small settlement of Prostějovice, deriving its name from Lord Prostěj. The first written records about the town, also referred to as the Jerusalem of Hana, date back to the first half of the 12th century.
One of the oldest sights in town is the Church of Holy Cross, built towards the end of the 14th century to replace a former Augustinian monastery. Among other sights, there is the Prostějov Castle at Pernštýnské square, completed in early 16th century in the Renaissance style and later reconstructed in early 20th century, with a rich decorated portal by Italian architect Casper Cuneus.