Roudnice nad Labem is a town on the left bank of the Elbe River (Labe). It has a population of approximately 13 500 and covers an area of 16,67 km². The town is situated near the site of Říp, notable for its connection with the legend of Praotec Čech.
Roudnice nad Labem is one of the oldest Czech towns, the original name Rúdnik / Rúdnica was given to it because of the red colored water spring in this area. The first written memories are dated to years 1167 and 1176, but first signs of settlement are from the prehistoric ages.
A steel road bridge from early 20th century spans the Elbe in Roudnice nad Labem. Its medieval predecessor was the third oldest bridge made of stone in Bohemia (afterPrague and Písek) and the first bridge to connect both banks of the river. Roudnice nad Labem features a castle of late Romanesque origin, nowadays in Baroque architectural style.