Sušice is a town in the Pilsen Region of the Czech Republic. It lies on the Otava River, some 60 km (37 mi) to the south of the regional capital of Pilsen. The Town of Sušice, often called the Gate to the Šumava Mountains, lies 465 m above sea level in the Svatobor Highlands. This former royal town spreads on both the banks of the once gold-bearing Otava River on the area of 16,6 square kilometres, and has about 11,500 inhabitants.
The town was founded by the Czech king Ottokar II of Bohemia in 1273. In 1683, a baroque chapel was built on what is now the edge of the town. This chapel still stands and is somewhat fortress-like in its appearance with its outer walls set in a square formation and the chapel located in the centre.
Sušice is one of the starting points to the Central Šumava. It lies on the foothills of the Šumava on the crossroads of tourist routes and on the edge of the Šumava National Park. Thanks to its position in densely populated Central Europe, to relatively good conditions of the countryside as well as to rich water sources the Šumava is often called the „Green Roof of Europe” offering a great deal of possibilities to both active and passive relaxation.
It is recommend to visit the Glass Gallery, with its exhibition of glass, pottery and pictures, which is situated near the Museum. The Municipal Library is to be found in Na Vršku Street. As well as the reading room and the study, there is also a public internet station.