Uherské Hradiště is located in the southeast of the Czech republic close to the border with Slovakia in the historical land of Moravia. The region is attractive owing to its landscape and rare species.
The name of the town is dated from 1587. It can be translated freely as „Hungarian Gord“ – meaning „a fortified settlement nearby the Hungarian border“.
In 1884, a new grammar school was founded in Uherské Hradiště, to be the first Czech-language secondary school in Moravian Slovakia. During this period, many important buildings were being built and the town continued to grow.
Even after 1918, the town of Uherské Hradiště remains mainly a center of administration with slow industrial development. The Second World War damaged the town to a large extent. The post-war renewal brought large industry to the town, namely canning and machine engineering. The influx of population caused, along with the annexation of the neighboring villages, a bustling growth and a significant change of the town’s appearance.